People look to a lot of different things for answers and purpose in life. Things like relationships, jobs, money, possessions… Not all of these things are bad, but none of them can provide what we’re really looking for. In fact, only one person can: Jesus.
Jesus loves you – so much, in fact, that He died for you, and then rose from the dead so that you could spend forever with Him. By putting your trust in Him, you can have eternal life!
Here’s what you need to know to accept Jesus as your personal Savior:
- Who is Jesus Christ?
- Many people will acknowledge Jesus Christ as a good man, a great teacher, or even a prophet of God. These things are most definitely true of Jesus, but they do not define who He truly is.
- The Bible tells us that Jesus is God in the flesh – God in human form (John 1:1, 14). Because of God’s love for us, He came to earth to teach us, heal us, correct us, forgive us – and die for us! Jesus Christ is God, the Creator and the sovereign Lord.
- What is a Savior and why do I need one?
- The Bible tells us that we have all sinned – we have all committed evil acts which separate us from God (Romans 3:10-18). As a result of our sin, we are worthy of God’s anger and judgment. The only just punishment for our sins is death and eternal separation from God (Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:11-15). That is why we need a Savior!
- Jesus Christ came to earth and died in our place. His death, as God in the flesh, was an infinite payment for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins so that we wouldn’t have to (Romans 5:8). His resurrection from the dead is proof that His death was sufficient to pay the price. That is why Jesus is the one and only Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)!
- Is Jesus your “personal” Savior?
- Many people view Christianity as attending church, performing rituals, and not committing certain sins. But Christianity isn’t about checking the right boxes. God desires a personal relationship with you!
- Accepting Jesus as your personal Savior means placing your own faith and trust in Him. No one is saved by the faith of others or forgiven for doing certain deeds. The only way to be saved is to personally accept Jesus as your Savior, trusting His death as the payment for your sins, and His resurrection as your guarantee of eternal life (John 3:16).
If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, just tell Him! Not sure what to say? Here’s an example:
“God, I know that I have sinned against you and deserve punishment. But Jesus Christ took the punishment that I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I turn away from my sin and place my trust in You for salvation. I accept Jesus as my personal Savior! Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness – the gift of eternal life! Amen!”
(Remember, this prayer is just an example, not a magic formula. Only trusting in Jesus can save you from sin. This is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for giving you salvation.) If you have questions about following Jesus or want to talk to someone about taking the next step, call 303.690.2520, or stop by the ‘You Belong Here’ corner on Sunday to speak to a leader.
- Visit SHV on Sunday! Service times are 9:00 & 10:45 am
- Check out Shared Life Groups. Group are a great place to connect with others and talk about important spiritual questions in a non-threatening environment.
- Get baptized! Baptism is a public celebration of your decision to follow Jesus. If you have decided to follow Jesus, get baptized! Learn more about Baptism here.